HQ: Akron, OH
Date of Investment: September 2012
Industry: Branded Consumer
Performance Health and Wellness, Inc., is the premier designer, manufacturer, and marketer of branded rehabilitation and wellness products, including Thera-Band®, Biofreeze®, TheraPearl®, Cramer®, Bon Vital®, Perform, and Hygenic.
- Drive expansion into retail and international markets through relationships and co-branding
- Drive new product innovation and development to improve and expand product offering
- Implement consistent pricing policy in the core U.S. Clinical business
- Become the acquirer of choice for small privately-owned health and wellness product companies leveraging Performance Health’s robust infrastructure & distribution network
- Opportunities to leverage in-house and board level expertise to build on the company’s clinical channel leadership and drive retail channel growth, expand and enhance product offerings through both acquisitions and through new product development, and expand the company’s international footprint
- Assembled board of industry experts, including two board members from Gridiron’s BOBE, with extensive marketing expertise
- Gridiron helped management take products from purely clinical channels into retail and direct to consumer channels.
- Supported management in expanding management level capabilities and recruiting additional talent
- Successfully brought clinical products to retail consumers and entered 40 new countries
- Completed three highly accretive add-on investments
- Introduced new products and implemented new pricing strategies across the suite of products
- Former CEO and COO are now on Gridiron’s BOBE, still talking, 10 years later