McKenzie Sports Products, Inc.
HQ: Granite Quarry, NC
Date of Investment: August 2006
Industry: Branded Consumer
McKenzie is the leading taxidermy supply manufacturer and marketer in the United States.
- Develop and roll out additional and more innovative products
- Pursue accretive tuck-in acquisition opportunities and consolidate taxidermy supply industry
- Develop contact databases and increase direct digital marketing
- Acquire and integrate Van Dyke’s, the number two player in the industry
- Implement LEAN and cost reduction initiatives across the Company
- Previous experience in new product development, tuck-in acquisitions, and the ability to leverage online marketing opportunities
- Gridiron supported more than 155% growth during their partnership with McKenzie
- Developed new product lines which had a meaningful impact and generated gross margins in excess of 50%
- Upgraded website, to provide access to the entire catalog, online ordering and customer service
- Acquired four tuck-in acquisitions in addition to the acquisition and integration of McKenzie’s largest competitor
- Opened a Western US warehouse, realigned the manufacturing and distribution footprint, consolidated facilities and achieved cost reductions in shipping, production, sourcing, and SG&A